Having to just suffer through painful, irregular, heavy or non-existent periods is one of the biggest fallacies out there today. There are many ways to regulate a menstrual cycle and create the period you never thought you could have.
Common reasons for treatment include:
- Absent or irregular menses
- Menstrual pain
- Ovulation pain
- PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome)
Because people don't usually compare periods with their friends or family, a lot of people don't have any idea what a 'normal' or 'healthy' period looks/feels like.
Here are the basics of a healthy menstruation.
- Cycle length: Regular (between 26-32 days counted from day 1 of your first day of bleeding, to the day 1 or your next bleed).
- Menses length: Lasts between 4-7 days.
- Menstrual flow: Moderate to full, filling a pad/tampon every 2-4 hours, then gradually getting lighter in flow until it is finished.
- Colour: fresh, vibrant red (note: blood will oxidize and get darker on a pad or tampon if it has been there for a while. It is easier to gage the colour when you wipe after going to the bathroom).
- Clotting: There is minimal to no clotting (pea size or smaller).
- Pain: There is NO pain with menses.
- PMS: You should not experience pre-menstrual symptoms. If you do experience uncomfortable or bothersome symptoms in the lead up to your menses, there is likely an imbalance or pathology that can be addressed.
It is not a cause for alarm if your menstruation is not a picture of perfect health. However, if you are suffering because of symptoms associated with your menses, acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine may be the answer you have been looking for.